Freedom of Information

We take reasonable steps to make sure the information we hold is accurate, complete, up-to-date and relevant to our functions and activities by checking information with individuals and organisations at relevant points in the progress of a complaint, investigation or other process. We also rely on you to let us know when your contact details have changed.

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) provides an individual person the right to request access to documents held by the HCC.

The object of the FOI Act is to extend as far as possible the right of the community to access information in the possession of the Government and other entities constituted under the law of Victoria.

You have a legal right to request access or correction of your personal information held by us under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act). A request must be made in writing and clearly describe the documents you are seeking access to. Once we understand what documents you are seeking, we will process your request and provide you with a decision within the statutory timeframe, being 30 days after the date of your request, or up to 45 days if consultation with third parties is required.

You need to include the application fee ($30.10 from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022) or provide evidence of financial hardship (such as a Centrelink concession card) if you are asking for a fee waiver. Further access charges may apply where documents are released under the FOI Act, unless hardship applies.

In many instances, we will be able to provide you with the information you are seeking without requiring you to make a formal request for access.

Requests under the FOI Act should be:

  • e-mailed to [email protected] if a waiver is sought for hardship. Copies of documents in support of the waiver request should also be provided; or
  • mailed or hand delivered during business hours and marked for the attention of the 'FOI Officer', Health Complaints Commissioner, Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Vic 3000 along with a cheque or money order made out to ‘Health Complaints Commissioner’ for the application fee.

Please describe what documents you are requesting access to, and please try to be clear and specific about the documents you are seeking access to. If the requested documents are about your personal affairs, you should provide evidence of your identity (e.g. a certified copy of your current drivers licence or other photographic identification).

For further information about making an FOI request, visit the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner.